Re: [Paparazzi-devel] BODY_TO_IMU Rotation for Hovering VTOL Fixed-wing

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] BODY_TO_IMU Rotation for Hovering VTOL Fixed-wing
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:00:12 +0100

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what you expect by telling the aircraft it is horizontal while it actually is pitched up at 80deg. You can do that, but what exactly do you hope to achieve by that?
The fixedwing firmware really won't work properly with that (without modifications that is), as the guidance/stabilization there assumes a CTOL without hover capability. Also stuff like roll basically becomes yaw when you suddenly hover, etc.
If you have an aircraft capable of both, VTOL/hover and transition to normal flight, you probably want to base that on the rotorcraft firmware (just like the quadshot, but which is arguably much more like a quadrotor in hover) or maybe even make a new firmware taking from the others what you need...
What we call a firmware is "just" a main.c with a collection of appropriate peripherals and subsystems listed in a bunch of makefiles.
Ok, maybe that is a bit simplified, but basically that's it ;-)

Regarding the singularities (of the euler angle representations):
Even if your estimation does not have any (e.g. ahrs int_cmpl_quat), if the control is using euler angles, you can of course still run into singularities there... basically anything that takes euler angles as inputs is potentially prone to problems around the singularities.

Cheers, Felix