Re: [Paparazzi-devel] AP_MODE_FAILSAFE

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] AP_MODE_FAILSAFE
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 21:41:33 +0100

Eric,

> In my understand, the failsafe mode began active when we lost GPS or lost
> Radio, in NAV-MODE

read carefully, its when GPS _and_ radio is lost in nav that you go
into the failsafe mode.

This makes sort of sense, because if you still have RC you can still
control the multicopter, if you don't have RC either.... well, you are
screwed and want to go into the failsafe mode (i.e. set attitude to
zero and slowly descend).

Gautier,
correct me if I'm wrong, but currently nothing is done if you just
loose GPS in nav mode, right?
Maybe we should go into some sort of (other) emergency mode in such a case?

> Also the horizontal control loops in hover and nav mode are slightly
> different, so if you tune in hover, your flight in nav may not be as good.
> So if your goal is to flight in nav mode, trim it in this mode. If you want
> to fly manually and hover from time to time, trim using hover mode.

This is very true, but not very nice...
Assuming for now that you don't use the horizontal reference
(GUIDANCE_H_USE_REF not defined and is hence zero) and you are within
HOLD_DISTANCE, I would expect the same behavior from nav (with "stay"
on a waypoint) as with AP_MODE_HOVER_*

What is the reason we have different scaling between these two modes??
This doesn't really make sense to me.
Any reason not to "fix" this and either change it in function
guidance_h_hover_run (guidance_h.c 243) or guidance_h_nav_run
(guidance_h.c 333)?

What I also just noticed in guidance_h_nav_run:
Shouldn't we reset guidance_h_nav_err to zero if we are within
HOLD_DISTANCE? Otherwise we will continually use an old tracking
nav_err if we get closer than HOLD_DISTANCE to the waypoint.

Cheers, Felix