Re: [Paparazzi-devel] MAVLink / QGroundControl v1.0.0 available

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] MAVLink / QGroundControl v1.0.0 available
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:29:01 +0100

Hi Lorenz,

I am impressed with QGroundControl and use it with our ArduPilotMega
boards.  We also use MAVLINK extensively internally.

That said, I think there would be some reluctance within the community -
the paparazzi GCS is pretty much feature complete and also extremely
stable (more so that QGC in it's current form in my opinion).
The cross-platform nature of QGC is appealing though.

The problem you'll have is the architecture of the paparazzi system.

data_link -> server -> GCS
simulation ->       -> Other stuff

This communication is via the Ivy bus and IMO is extremely useful; you
can subscribe other programs all of which can read and alter the status
of a UAV.

To get QGC working with paparazzi you'd either need to remove the
datalink and server components (which would break a lot of things),
alter datalink to also speak mavlink (but then QGC wouldn't work) or
alter QGC to understand the Ivy bus.

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Overview

Cheers,
Gareth