[Paparazzi-devel] SRTM and keeping a certain distance above groud level

From: Nathan Aherne
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] SRTM and keeping a certain distance above groud level for all waypoints
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 02:41:20 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I am pretty sure this question is answered in the wiki but I am not quite getting the concept. Using the SRTM data I would like to keep a certain height above ground level. When I set the waypoint heights I just assumed they were heights above ground level based on what SRTM data says for instance if the ground height at a particular way point is 400m and the way point height is set to 90 then the aircraft would be at 490m when hitting that way point. It seems that the height of each way point is the heights above the ground level you set in the first line of the flight plan. I would like to be able to set the ground level heights to height above ground level.

I don't think I am getting the concept of using the SRTM data and how to use that to stay above a certain height. Would someone mind giving me a bit of a conceptual rundown of how to use the SRTM data effectively?

Kindest regards,

Nathan Aherne
Reddog Technology
Web: www.reddog.com.au