[Paparazzi-devel] Automatic landing with MaxSonar XL tests #2

From: Chris
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Automatic landing with MaxSonar XL tests #2
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:23:57 +0200

Hi.
Well i managed to crash (all electronic are fine) but not before i gather data from two flights. The maxsonar xl recorded the altitude all the way from 6m with very good accuracy and consistence.
(the sonar was programmed to come online below 6m, it's maximum is 7m )
The ground was covered with ~20cm grass.
Auto landings would be perfect if i had not commanded a very small descent rate (1m/s) above 2m which made landings require an awfully long runway as it took at least 20 seconds to descent from 20m to 2m.
I think the maxsonar XL is very good for the job.
Unfortunately it will take me at least one week to build a twin motor airplane to be used as the next paparazzi plane so if anyone has the Maxsonar XL and wants to try the code drop me an email.