Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Final year project and uni of Adelaide

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Final year project and uni of Adelaide
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:53:46 +0000

In terms of Gareth, quick 'n' dirty (wrote most of it drunk the night
before EMAV) for the balloon detection, just did colour detection and
then a centroid, then moved the balloon waypoint based on that (it was a
bit slow due to the uplink speed).  I used python and opencv - the trick
is not to iterate through cvImages in python (I took apart the source
code, and every time you call an iteration, it generates a lamba),
instead use IPLImages and pyscho on the main loop, it was as fast as the
C implementation for my particular application.
For my final year project, which isn't directly related to paparazzi,
I'm using a pair of webcams, a BeagleBoard (which runs full linux) and
currently am using a wifi draft-n link to get the two video streams back
to a groundstation laptop.  I only started a couple of weeks ago, and it
takes a worrying amount of time to generate a depthmap on a core 2 duo
with 4 gig of ram, so god knows how it's going to perform on a ~600MHz
arm.

Todd: were you using the processing opencv library?  I looked at it, but
it was painfully slow.

If you want any code, let me know.
--G