Re: [Paparazzi-devel] First power-up of Autopilot OK, some questions

From: Steven Wawryk
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] First power-up of Autopilot OK, some questions
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:07:31 +0930

Is this a problem with the 9XTend?

Gareth Roberts wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear!

If the duty cycle is the problem, increasing the baud rate of either paparazzi or the modems will not help, at best it'll just stretch the time until they stop working to maybe 10 minutes. There is basically nothing you can do to fix this. The XBee needs to only transmit 10% of it's time. Paparazzi telemetry is a continuous stream of messages, and so it won't work with the 868's (unless you do something like resetting them every few minutes).

As for the 1mW thing, you are right, I talked to Digi live chat a while back and the chap definitely recommended that (said I'd get a few miles @ 1mW as well) until he found out I was trying to stream data, at which point he said it wouldn't work at all.

The idea about connecting the boards is very cunning, and should work (although you will need a common ground as well). I would recommend a serial cable though, I don't have an FTDI one, I use a Brainstem (though any 3V tolerant TTL level convertor will work), a power supply made from an LM78 and paperclips, a dodgy old USB->Serial adapter and a spare molex connector and some loose wires to connect to the paparazzi. Not that I'm on a budget or anything...If you are at a university or large org, it's exactly the kind of stuff someone will have in a cupboard somewhere.

As for the GCS view, if you are wondering whether it's your GCS or modem, go Tools -> Messages. If you get a tiny window you can't see, and it doesn't fill with tabs that flash green, you're problem is outside the computer.

As I said originally, I bought a pair of 868's, but they just don't work (at least not without the reset hack). Certainly while you are starting, try and get a set of XBee Pro 2.4GHz (they even play ok with video with some fiddling, I promise).

--G