Re: [Paparazzi-devel] IR sensor modifications

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] IR sensor modifications
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:59:02 GMT

I've had lots of trouble with the modified sensors not working in low contrast situations but have never seen an unmodified sensor fully saturate in the Arizona summer.  I recommend not modifying them.  The results at either extreme are the following:

In high contrast, a saturated sensor will reduce the resolution of the angle estimate around 0 degrees, causing sloppy stability/navigation and potential for overbanking or overpitching.

In low contrast, (a modified sensor effectively reduces the contrast) the noise and static offset in your sensors becomes more significant compared to the measurement causing the aircraft to tend to pitch and bank one direction, pitch/bank excessively in that direction, and unable to pitch or bank in the other direction.

-- Mohammad Ali Haji Pour <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I have got the commercial IR sensors from FMA Direct. Will I face any problems if I do not change the resistors mentioned in wiki? The temperature here is around 30 degree Celsius.

Regards,

Mohammad