pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan-users Digest, Vol 213, Issue 6

From: mail
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan-users Digest, Vol 213, Issue 6
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 09:56:07 +0100

From: Rickbrown <pan@intermountainac.net>

Why would you write such a thing?
Because up until this moment nobody here has said how to it. Thank you
for the reference to

alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper. That is the first place I found I
could download a yEnc image. And I have looked around quite a bit.

  Please stop spreading FUD.
And WTF is FUD?
-Rick

Hi Rick.

In life, it's often a good approach to adopt a "Beginners Mind". In this context it just means to assume you don't know what you are talking about, and act accordingly.

So rather than asking WTF FUD is, you could put FUD into Google, and find out that it is a commonly accepted acronym for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. It is a widespread acronym, particularly in software-development.

yEnc became the standard encoding for binary attachments sometime between 2003 & 2005. As I recall PAN was somewhat slow to support yEnc encoding, but has done so for over a decade, I'm going to guess 15-17 years. Once upon a time it was common to put yEnc in the title of a post to aid with the adoption cycle. I'm guessing that no-one does that anymore because it is the default.

No-one ever talks about yEnc anymore because yEnc just works in the background. It's much like you don't hear about tcp, ip, or utf-8 much anymore, but they are still there working in the background.

So it's weird that you are asking about this. It's almost certain that the majority of binaries that you download using pan are working with yenc in the background. So how do you download a yenc encoded binary? Just download a binary.

Then I come to this part of your mail:

alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper. That is the first place I found I
could download a yEnc image. And I have looked around quite a bit.

Just weird... So was your question actually "Where can I find a newsgroup with yEnc encoded images I can download?"?

It sounds a bit like you don't even know what yEnc is -- there's no such thing as a yEnc image. Once you download an image it's a jpeg, or a png, or some kind of image file. yEnc is just the encoding used to put it on nntp. You could have figured that out by Googling yenc, and reading the first hit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YEnc. Perhaps you tried reading it and didn't understand the information found there?

Next time you find yourself feeling so frustrated, perhaps you can start by assuming you don't know what you are talking about, and phrasing your questions from that perspective. It tends to lead to better outcomes.