pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Actions not working in Pan built from git.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Actions not working in Pan built from git.
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:31:51 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 02:55:07 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 20:50:50 -0500, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actions are not working in Pan built from git (built with gtk3).
>> Articles are not made read or deleted according to the Action settings.
>> Works well in 0.139. There's also some resizing issues.
>
> There are a few discussions here about the resizing issues - that seems
> to be a gtk3 quirk of some sort.  General recommendation is to use
gtk2,
> from what I recall.
>
> I think I also ran into the same action issues with a gtk3 build - gtk2
> does seem to work in that regard as well.

Just seconding the gtk2 recommendation.  Pan's original support for gtk3
was added some years ago, now, if I'm correct, back when Charles Kerr was
still active as pan's lead dev (tho whether he created them or someone
else did and he simply merged the patches I don't know), but the gtk2
version has always been recommended, and I'm not sure the gtk3 version
has even been kept current -- it may in fact be subject to some level of
bitrot by now.

With distros now beginning to talk of deprecating gtk2, that may have to
change at some point, but in practical terms I don't think we really need
to worry until distro's firefox/iceweasel packages are no longer
dependent on gtk2.  Once /that/ happens we better focus rather sharply on
getting pan's gtk3 version back in shape, but until then, no immediate
worries.

Talking about the firefox question... every once in awhile I check the
firefox gtk3 status, and I guess firefox actually builds with gtk3
without too many issues these days.  But I've no hint on when upstream
mozilla will switch its binary firefox build to gtk3, nor have I the
foggiest how close various distros are to doing so with their own builds,
other than my own distro, gentoo, which seems to still be gtk2 based ATM,
but the gentoo/gnome and gentoo/gtk project folks are starting to get
serious about preferring gtk3 in general now, so it's probably a matter
of time.  Anybody else have any idea about the other distros?  Any distro
actually distributing a gtk3 version of firefox yet, or actively planning
to do so in a concrete timeframe?  What about upstream mozilla-firefox
binary builds?  Any concrete time frame for a switch there, yet?

Because here I have three big gtk2-based packages I'd be loath to try to
do without, pan, firefox and claws-mail.  Firefox is obviously the big
one on the block, so no big deal until it switches, and we're obviously
discussing pan here, but that does leave claws-mail, and unlike the two,
I've very little idea at all what their porting to other than gtk2 status
is, or even whether they're considering going qt4/5 instead of gtk3, as a
few projects are apparently doing.  I keep meaning to go check and see if
it's covered in a claws-mail FAQ or if they have a list where it may have
been discussed, and where I can post a question about it if I don't see
it in the list archives, but there's apparently a shortage of rounded
tuits at the moment, as I've not gotten mine with the claws-mail porting
status check label yet. =:^\