pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Annoying ’ in posts

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Annoying ’ in posts
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:36:21 +1000

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 01:33:29AM +0000, DLSauers wrote:
> Annoying characters in posts:
>
>  ’
>
> Is there some font setting or something that can remove these annoying
> glyhps or what ever they are...

Short answer: it's an encoding problem. Some doofus is probably pasting
so-called "Smart Quotes" from Microsoft Word into their post, and their
news reader program (or Google Groups *spit*) is not adjusting the
encoding as it should.

Read this article for more details:

The article is aimed at programmers, but doesn't assume any programming
knowledge, and everyone should read it.

> I've tried setting all kinds of fonts etc.. and they still appear... I
> just want plain text and the correct ' and " that should be there.

It's nothing to do with the font, and there's no such thing as "plain
text".

You *might* be able to fix the problem by using the menu command:

View > Body Pane > Set character encoding...

but you need to know what the encoding *actually* is, as opposed to what
the post claims it to be. Or be lucky in your guess :)

--
Steven