pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan -> mbox

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan -> mbox
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:36:55 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:36:07 -0700 as excerpted:

> Can I use pan for this, or do I need tin?
>

>     "I don't know of any usenet software that will fetch articles into
>     an 'mbox' file (but it seems that most newsreaders will 'save'
>     posted articles in that format so that they can be read using an
>     email client - slrn certainly does, even though it can't read mbox
>     files).
>

> The tin newsreader can fetch articles in batch mode and can save them in
> mbox format or mail them."
>
> http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Misc/
> news.software.readers/2007-06/msg00874.html

Pan uses the maildir base directory format (each message as its own file,
each filesystem directory a different message folder), not mbox (each mbox
file contains all the messages in a single message folder).  You can try
reading the cache with a maildir format processing mail client and see
how that goes, but pan doesn't do mbox.

Here's a google for maildir to mbox conversion, tho.  Looks like you have
quite a choice of conversion methods! =:^)

http://www.google.com/search?q=maildir+to+mbox