pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.133 refuses to work any longer

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.133 refuses to work any longer
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 01:14:21 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Brown posted on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:46:41 -0500 as excerpted:

> The /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmime-2.6.pc file does not exist, but the
> /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/gmime-2.6.pc file does exist.
>
> I'm running a 64 bit system.  The directory /usr/lib/pkgconfig does not
> exist.
>
> Plus, configure is looking for gmime-2.4, not 2.6.
>
> Don't know how I missed not finding the pkgconfig/gmime-2.6.pc file, but
> pan's configure file is looking for the wrong one.
>
> Just a reminder, the source is for 0.138.

FWIW, pan builds just fine here on gentoo/~amd64, with gmime-2.6.pc.  Of
course on gentoo/amd64, for historical reasons (gentoo developed its
amd64 support before a standard multilib location was defined) lib is
generally a symlink to lib64, with people running multilib (I'm 64-bit-
only, here) having a lib32 for their 32-bit libs.  So the lib -> lib64
symlink may help.

But you're probably missing some --with-lib-path=/usr/lib64 or some such
parameter, fed to configure or the like.  But that's a bit beyond my
level so I don't really have specific instructions for you, unfortunately.

FWIW, I remember all the issues I used to have with split -dev(el)
packages, dependency hell, etc, trying to either find updated rpms oon
rpmfind or build from source back on Mandrake (this was ~2002-2004, I
switched to gentoo in 2004), and I'm SOOOO glad I run a from-source distro
like gentoo now, where most of that sort of stuff "just works".  So I can
certainly sympathize with your plight, but there /is/ a way out, gentoo,
if you want to take that step.  (FWIW, gentoo is sort of half way between
lfs, Linux from scratch, and a normal binary distro.  And arch linux is
sort of half way between gentoo and a binary distro.  So there's a line,
binary distro, arch, gentoo, lfs, and a lot of former gentooers AND
former standard binary distro users end up on arch.  But for me, gentoo's
about as perfect a match as ever appears in reality, so that's where I've
stayed since I discovered it.)