pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan ignores password

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan ignores password
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:38:26 +0000 (UTC)

R Kimber posted on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:52:51 +0100 as excerpted:

> I see I have both a .pan and a .pan2 that both have the same permissions
> (as far as I can tell everything is rw for the users),

I take it you've been running pan for many years?  ~/.pan was the old C-
based 0.14.x pan's default location, before the C++ rewrite that began
with 0.90.  But that was many years ago now, so either you have been
running pan for quite some time indeed, or perhaps you ran a stale distro
(Debian stale^h^hble, perhaps, or RHEL 5, or...) for awhile, and it had a
stale version of pan.  (Or perhaps you ran a distro that changed the
location, or since new-pan lets you set the location via the PAN_HOME
environmental variable, maybe you or your distro had it set for awhile.)

Anyway, you can very likely get rid of ~/.pan entirely as it's very
likely old and stale.  You might double-check the file modification dates
within, just to be sure, but I'd venture 90%+ chance it's years-old.

> but I note that
> in .pan2 servers.xml has a blank password. If I edit this by hand pan
> ignores it and changes it back to a blank password:
>
> From the command line I get:-
>
> WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to:
> /tmp/keyring-9kjCq0/pkcs11: No such file or directory
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files Gkr-Message: secret
> service operation failed: Method "CreateCollection" with signature
> "a{sv}s"
> on interface "org.freedesktop.Secret.Service" doesn't exist

As Heinrich says, that's a gnome-keyring issue.  Using that is a fairly
new compile-time optional feature (which I don't use here as I'm a kde
user not gnome), so if you're not setup for it but the feature was turned
on at compile-time, it's not entirely surprising that you'd have problems
with it.

So you have a couple options.  If you're building pan yourself, you can
simply turn off that option at compile time.  Otherwise, the package
should have had gkr dependencies, but perhaps being so new, the distro
screwed them up, and you're missing something vital.  Or maybe it's
required if compiled in, but still optional on the distro since it
wouldn't be needed for no-login servers (such as gmane, which I follow
this list as a newsgroup from).  FWIW, I /think/ I saw as a change either
in 0.139 or just since then (would be in git only if it's since, since
0.139 is the latest), that made actually using the keyring optional at
runtime even if the compile-time option was turned on, which implies that
for 0.138, it was mandatory if your server has a login.

Beyond that, you'll need to find someone using gnome to help, because as
I said I'm a kde user and don't have gnome-keyring, etc, installed, so
that option is off at compile time for me.