pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Are kill-filed messages shown as non read messages?

From: Heinrich Müller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Are kill-filed messages shown as non read messages?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 07:25:35 +0200

Am 11.07.2012 01:11, schrieb Duncan:
Bob posted on Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:24:15 +0000 as excerpted:

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 02:54:33 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

Bob wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 02:09:12 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

Bob wrote:
Was going through my groups this morning and noticed no recent
activity in this group, so I marked all as read, and then marked all
threads as read.

I moved to another group to do the same, and noticed that I still
had 58 messages marked as unread in the group I had just marked as
all read.
If they're kill-filed, they're hardly read, are they?
No, they aren't read, but they then should not show up if they are
killed as they are not available for reading.
scores of -9999 (ignored)".
That helps greatly.
For people not using stale distributions' old pan, and I see in the
headers you're upto date with "Sexual Chocolate" (0.139) but this was
added in ... well I don't have pan's git repo checked out to build ATM so
I can't check the changelog, but I'd say 0.136 or 0.137 or so...

What you're looking for is pan prefs, actions tab. =:^)

There you can configure pan for "automatic actions" based on score.  It's
possible, for instance, to mark watched posts auto-download or auto-cache
(depending on how you use pan, auto-download would be for binary users
that download-and-save directly, auto-cache for text users and binary
users that set big caches, download to cache, and /then/ go thru it),
negative-scored posts to auto-mark-read, and ignored posts to auto-delete.

That nicely eliminates the ignored-posts-still-show-as-unread problem!
=:^)

Thanks for clarifying, Duncan. And, yes, please file a bug if you think the feature
behaves erratically.

Cheers.