pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Someone hasn't upgraded in a while... (was Re: Ubuntu 11

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Someone hasn't upgraded in a while... (was Re: Ubuntu 11.10 version ...)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 18:40:12 +1100

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/22/2011 01:52 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/21/2011 08:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

That's *ancient*.

If it's not broken, don't break it by updating.

That's only valid if subsequent versions are broken.

If my existing version isn't broken, why would I want to take the chance
of breaking it?

Take the *chance*?????? It's a desktop PC, not a 5 9s server controlling some vital bit of the nation's infrastructure.

Exactly. It's *my* desktop PC, and therefore much, much more important to *me* than some hypothetical national infrastructure that I may or may not care about. (What do I care if the tax office's database is down 4 days out of 5?)

Anyway, my original comment was simply, "That's *ancient*." Nothing more, nothing less. smtp, pop3 and mbox haven't changed in a *long* time, so there's no *need* to upgrade as long as your boot disk keeps functioning.

Exactly. So I fail to understand your surprise that I haven't upgraded, or the tone of reproach ("That's only valid if...") in your text.

I wish a lot more tools would be rock solid stable, and a lot less change for the sake of change. (KDE, I'm talkin' to *you*.)

--
Steven