pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] how to use additional X-headers for scoring?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] how to use additional X-headers for scoring?
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:20:11 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Müller posted on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:02:34 +0000 as excerpted:

> Am Tue, 04 Oct 2011 12:34:17 +0000 schrieb Duncan:
>
>> ** PAN CAN ONLY SCORE ON OVERVIEW HEADERS PRE-DOWNLOAD, OTHERS SCORES
>> WON'T APPLY UNTIL AFTER DOWNLOAD **
>>
>> This is because overviews only contain a relatively limited set of
>> headers, from, to, date, lines/size, message-id and references, etc.
>> Pan doesn't see the other headers until after it has actually
>> downloaded the articles, and it obviously can't score on data it hasn't
>> yet seen.
>>
>> X-Authenticated-User isn't going to be in the overviews, for most
>> servers, so pan can only score on it post-download.
>
> Spot-on, that's what I figured, too. I'm leaving the change in as it is
> meanwhile.
> Perhaps I'll change the Article class later on to see the memory impact
> this creates, let's see...

FWIW, you said earlier "read", while I said "downloaded".  There's a
difference, for those of us who download to cache (increasing the cache
size to some gigs to allow it), and then read later, when everything's
local so it can be done in real-time.  (Actually, I only normally do that
on binaries since text downloads fast enough it's not worth the hassle,
and I've not done binaries in probably a couple years or more, now, but
the point remains, there /is/ a distinction, and in text groups with nym-
shifters, etc, it could still be worth caching to score first, if that
was the only way to properly score before actually reading, too.  So it's
a distinction that does matter.)