pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: subject in path

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: subject in path
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:19:11 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:53:11 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 07/18/2010 01:41 PM, K. Haley wrote:
>> Some time back I added support for substituting the subject into the
>> path when saving.  I've just made some changes and need some feedback
>> on how well it seems to work.  These examples are based on subject
>> lines I've seen.
>>
>> input: '[foo]     K's    "kpsheg02b.jpg" (0/2) yEnc   426 of 613  685k
>> - "kpsheg02b.jpg" yEnc'
>> output: '[foo] K's...
>
> It doesn't seem to be working that way for me :-/
>
> I'm saving some multiparts now with the "group's path" for downloads set
> to /media/data/walter/mp/pan.

I'm not sure what the new code is, but I imagine it's like old-pan -- if
you want the group name, now the subject name too, in the path, you use a
placeholder, %g for group, probably %s for subject, at the point in the
path where you want it.  (Was author, %a, possible with old-pan as well?
IDR.)

So using this scheme if I posted a binary to this group (which it is on
gmane), with a subject of "Testing binary posting, test.jpg", with a save
dir of /mm/news/%g/%a/%s/ , then the binary should be saved as
"/mm/news/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user/Duncan/Testing binary posting/
test.jpg"

That's the way it used to work, only IIRC it only had %g and possibly %a,
because parsing the subject was probably considered impractical to get
working well.  But back then, there was only one general save path
setting, not one per group, so the only way to get per-group dirs was to
use something like the %g placeholder.

If someone wanted to get fancy with the code, they could setup %s as the
normal subject, and %S as the subject without spaces.  Same with %a/%A.
Also, it might be nice to give folks the option of %d/%D for date
(locale's short and long date format, respectively).

But the way I handle downloads, it really doesn't matter.  First of all, I
set pan's cache to something reasonably sized. (I have my binary pan
instance set to 12 gigs ATM -- it uses a dedicated partition so that's all
the room it could take in any case.  That setting, BTW, is only available
by directly editing preferences.xml, as pan's a gnome app, and like many
gnome apps, the general idea is to dumb-down the options available in the
GUI -- the reason I use KDE as my desktop and for most things, as gnome's
lack of properly GUI exposed settings drives this serious customizer
crazy, but unfortunately, kde doesn't have a decent combined text/binary
news client, so pan it is.)  Then I download to cache only (I don't save)
everything that looks interesting.  I can start this running and go to
sleep or work or whatever.  Then I come back to it later and everything's
in cache.  I have pan set not to check for new messages on startup or on
entering a group, so I go into a group, and can work thru it in real-time
now, since everything's already cached locally.

That way, I have all the post metadata, subject, group name, poster, date
posted, etc, all there, when I actually save the files off.  And
ultimately, I only save a single series or single album to a dir, using
whatever post metadata is appropriate when I name it, then save the next
one to a different dir.

Then as I go, I actually delete the posts.  And when I'm done, I mkfs the
cache partition so it's clean, and am ready to start downloading for the
next session.