pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: make error - undefined reference to iconv

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: make error - undefined reference to iconv
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:03:39 +0000 (UTC)

"arnuld uttre" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:44:03 +0530:

> I am trying to compile latest stable pan but getting make error with
> libiconv. Since my system CentOS 4.4 does not have any libiconv RPM, I
> have to compile libiconv myself from sources:
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.12.tar.gz
>
> then I put that in /usr/locaal and ran ldconfig. /usr/local/lib is in my
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH and /usr/local/bin is in PATH.  I have included here all
> the information you will need . Can I solve this make error:
>

> address@hidden pan-0.14.2]

First, despite it's being latest "stable", 0.14.x is no longer officially
supported.  That means you're welcome to run it, and we (here on this
list) do try to help, but there will be no further official updates of
that code, and as the code is several years old now, it's going to be
getting increasingly stale and will be increasingly difficult to get to
compile against modern libraries using a modern gcc, etc.

The recommendation is therefore to try the latest pan, 0.133.  0.90 was a
rewrite into C++ (the 0.14.x and earlier series was C), and new-pan
scales far better on large (> a million articles) groups (these are
usually binary groups on good servers), and has automatic multi-server
capacities.  Thus, if you do binaries or multiple servers, new-pan is
likely to be a better choice anyway.  That said, for smaller groups (<
100K articles), particularly if you don't subscribe to the same group on
multiple servers, old-pan can be better in some ways.  Its rules feature
allows auto-download, auto-mark-read and auto-delete based on scores, for
instance, something that's not yet possible with new-pan as Charles
decided rules were too complicated for the user (the were rather
complicated, we got lots of questions on them) but unfortunately, hasn't
replaced them with anything else in new-pan, tho there's an idea what it
should look like, it's just writing the code...  Anyway, whether you wish
to continue trying the old is of course up to you, but you can expect to
have issues with it, and for those issues to get worse as time goes on
and the code gets more and more stale in comparison to modern systems.

As for the iconv issue, I was all set to suggest pointing configure at
/usr/local, but then saw you already were.  Maybe you'll just try the
newer code and won't have to worry about it.  Otherwise, what did
configure say about iconv (if anything)?  Did it detect it then?  It may
be a mismatch between glib versions, older ones using libiconv and newer
ones not, or similar, as well.  I know there were some patches in 0.133
so it could work with more modern glib and gcc, among other things.
0.14.x won't have gotten those patches...  Of course, I really don't know
how old Centos 4.4 is, either.  If it's >4 years old, old-pan should fit
right in.