pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] posting problem

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] posting problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:06:29 -0600

Duncan wrote:

Anyone with proposals on how to better word this error, please post'em!
=8^)

There were problems with this post.

Warning: The following groups are unknown on the posting server currently
selected for this posting profile.  You may wish to examine your profile
selection.

That's a good start.  I'd shorten the error message portion and add
specific instructions on solving it:

   Error:  The posting profile's server doesn't carry this newsgroup.
   Either change profiles in the "From:" header or edit the profile
   via "Edit|Manage Posting Profiles".

Personally the posting-preferences-server approach still feels like
a hack to me, but as Duncan correctly explained, nobody proposed a
clearer solution at the time.  On its plus side, since Pan remembers
which profile was last used in a group, it also remembers which
news server to use.

I'm open to simpler alternatives.

cheers,
Charles