pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Clearing the cache

From: Bruce Bowler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Clearing the cache
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:36:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:09:29 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Bruce Bowler <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 15
> Jan 2007 11:26:31 -0500:
>
>> 2) Is there a way to get 'new pan' to delete the article cache on exit
>> automatically?  I know I can delete .pan2/article-cache manually, but I'm
>> looking for something more automatic that works for both linux and
>> windows.
>
> The files in question (edit with pan closed, naturally) are
> $PAN_HOME/servers.xml and $PAN_HOME/preferences.xml.  ($PAN_HOME defaults
> to ~/.pan2/, unless you set it manually in pan's environment.)
>
> The two settings in question are the cache size, set in preferences.xml,
> and the expiration time, set per server in servers.xml.

Played with cache size a bit, haven't tried 0, but 1 doesn't really help.
Unfortunately, expiration time is article retention, not cache retention.

> This doesn't make a
> lot of sense to me, but then, neither does wanting to auto-delete the
> cache, so if one suits your way of working, maybe the other does as
> well. <shrug>

I tend to "read" news by "skimming" news by "reading" the article by
"skimming" the article (confused yet :-).  Sometimes my fingers get *WAY*
ahead of by brain. By the time my brain catches up and says "hey, that
looks like an interesting article", the article may have scrolled out of
the header pane.  What I would do with old pan was to click on the
"display only cached articles" button. Since I knew the cache was "empty"
when I started, the interesting article must now be the list in the header
pane.

If the cache isn't empty when I start, that technique is effectively
useless, and we're back to trying to come up with a new trick to teach on
old dog.

--
Bruce Bowler        | The fear of life is the favorite disease of the