pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Looking for NNTP relay software

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Looking for NNTP relay software
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:14:05 +0000 (UTC)

Robert Krig <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:17:52
+0100:

> Even if you manage to re-route the traffic, wouldnt it be the same as if
> you had two newsreaders running?
>
> You would have to make sure that you don't create more connections than is
> allowed by your provider.

No...  Many providers cap the connections, both the number and the speed
per connection, to well less (total) than the internet bandwidth they
provide.

Cox provides here, for instance, four connections of half a megabit per
second each, thus totalling 2 megabit per second total news bandwidth (to
their outsourced provider).  Actually, due to issues it's often less than
that but we'll say you get full speed for argument's sake.

The internet pipe is (in Phoenix) 7 megabit down, half megabit up.
Figuring downloading, therefore, and assuming one doesn't saturate their
uplink, one could use the connections of two friends besides their own, to
get 6 megabit download speed, and have the last megabit left over for other
uses.

Cox controls access by IP number, so as long as the connections appear to
be coming from different IP addresses, it would work.  For geeks that
service the computers of friends, this might be a useful way to get better
use of their pipes at no additional cost, in exchange for keeping up the
antivirus and the like on their friends' computers.  (I am assuming the
friends know and agreed, of course, but for the ethically challenged, that
wouldn't /have/ to be so...)