pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Strategies for downloading a post-in-progress?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Strategies for downloading a post-in-progress?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:50:39 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:50:30
+0000:

> So --> today I was downloading a large multi-part binary post, and wound
> up with about six incomplete RAR's.  I fussed and fiddled, and finally I
> figured out that I was downloading a post which my server was still
> actively receiving, even though the posting date was a full 25 hours ago.
> All I had to do was tell pan to re-fetch those incomplete RAR's and
> everything was perfect.
>
> This is Not Good:  I pay for every byte I download, so I don't want to
> download the same files more than once.

I haven't mastered the NNTP RFCs, but they aren't /too/ bad, and instead
of snoring, my general reaction to most of the RFCs (the MIME RFCs are my
favs) is one of amazement at being able to actually touch the "law", so to
speak, but not only that, understand it, and not only that, how they took
care of all the corner cases (well, in the good ones...).

Anyway, the problem here isn't the RFCs, but pan's implementation thereof.
You are in luck.  As long as you have a big enough cache (I'm afraid the
default 10MB doesn't cut it) and the posts are still in cache, pan will
see the posts are already downloaded.  It's particularly striking to see
this in action when entering a group one doesn't normally go to, only to
find stuff cross-posted from a group one /does/ normally use has already
been downloaded, due to the cross-posting. =8^)

As I've said before, cache size is configured by directly editing
preferences.xml.