pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Where's the sent folder gone in the new Pan?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Where's the sent folder gone in the new Pan?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:55:23 +0000 (UTC)

"Mick Semb Wever" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:13:54
+0000:

>>> Where's the sent folder gone in the new Pan?
>>
>> It disappeared in the reorganization.
>>
> My problem is, and it happens frequently enough for this to be slightly
> annoying, is when using news.gmane.org I sent a post to a list i'm not
> subscribed to often gmane replies with an authentication request and my
> unsubscribed post is allowed through. But sometimes the list is question
> does not allow gmane this privilege, and i must go and manually
> subscribe to the list and send the post again.
> Now with the new Pan, I can't find a copy of that post anywhere, and it
> this time it was quite a long post so i'm reluctant to write it all
> again :-( Will i find it anywhere on disk in the .pan folder?

Another gmane user! =8^)

I don't believe you'll find it, once it has posted successfully according
to the server (and until then it the compose window stays open) , unless
you happened to save it as a draft or whatever first.  IOW, I may be wrong
on this, but I believe pan never saves it -- it posts directly from
memory, which is cleared as soon as the server says it has the file.

If it /is/ somewhere on disk, it'd be in the ~/.pan2 dir (not ~/.pan,
which was old-pan, pre-0.90) by default -- that is unless you have changed
it by setting the $PAN_HOME environmental variable before starting pan.
You can grep the newsgroup name if desired and see if anything comes up.
If so, post as I'd be interested as well.

(Of course, those who can read source can simply look there to see what
pan does, but I'd guess most of us don't.)

While I'm a gmane user, I don't try new groups/lists there that often
(unless it's an xpost, in which case I usually don't care for it to go to
the other list anyway, so I just let gmane's verification expire -- I sure
wish pan would notify even if xposted to only a second group, but it
doesn't).  Thus, I'm not sure, but if I'm not mistaken, if you are posting
to a new list, you can subscribe (or simply check whether it's necessary)
before replying to the verification.  Since you have a week to do
it in, that shouldn't be an issue, and by subscribing before replying to
gmane's verify request, gmane should be able to forward it without issue.