pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.118 - Stop task doesn't work.

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.118 - Stop task doesn't work.
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 09:29:51 -0600

Duncan wrote:
Duncan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:38:59
+0000:

That's my take.  Now to go mention it on the bug.  Only I think I'll
simply point here for it as I think I made the point better here than I
likely could again.

Hmm... Looks like Charles has already commented -- the same beginning
thing, I was right on that, but a bit different angle.  Still... maybe
this angle might be worth exploring...  We'll have to see what Charles
says.  In any case, as I said, if the single-part vs single attachment
forming a single logical pan task unit is correct, it doesn't appear to
have been something Charles has considered at all, so the fix is likely to
be somewhat major surgury, unlikely to happen before 1.0.

Maybe I can be more clear.

Following the same terminology of `logical article' being all the parts
together, and `real article' being one of those parts...

When a user hits stop or delete, Pan tries to finish all the real
articles that are being downloaded -- not queued, but actually
being downloaded via a server connection that the queue's allocated
to them -- before the task will be stopped or deleted.

In the example of the 50-part article, let's say you have two connections via news.east and two via news.west chugging along,
so four parts are being downloaded at any moment.  When you press
stop, those four parts need to finish before Pan will stop the task.

This is not much different from the old version of Pan except that
multiserver means you have to wait for more parts to finish.