pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: store scroll position per group

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: store scroll position per group
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:27:49 +0000 (UTC)

"Danny Milosavljevic" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 15 Jun 2006
21:13:09 +0000:

> I'm still catching up with the old posts in the newsgroups I am subscribed
> to and so it usually happens that I stop somewhere in the middle of the
> thread treeview at the end of the day (like, with 300 unread posts).
>
> Now, every time I close and reopen pan or just switch the newsgroup, the
> tree view cursor will be reset to the first row... baaad.
>
> So I suggest to store and restore the cursor position in the threads view.

The current >0.90 pan has very little if any per-newsgroup state saved.
>From questions I've asked (and seen others ask) Charles earlier, this is a
deliberate simplification at present.  His answer to my question suggested
that he's trying to keep it that way thru the current stabilization
process, leading up to a 1.0 release as the next stable, hopefully by the
end of the year (note that he didn't say this in so many words, but that's
what I've gathered from various replies and the jump to 0.9x).  He DID say
specifically that the feature I was asking for, memory of the profile used
to post per group, would be returning, but post 1.0.  From that and other
replies, it looks like he's putting off per-group state retention
entirely until after 1.0.

Of course, he has always suggested that requests with patches have a much
higher chance of getting in relatively soon as compared to those without,
so barring a direct reply from him one way or another, since you mention
you have the skills necessary to do that, if you do so and it's simple as
you suggest here, he may well include your patch with the feature in
question, pre-1.0.

FWIW, if you do mostly text groups or use only one major server for your
binaries, the last older PAN, 0.14.2.91 IIRC, may be more suitable to your
needs and is certainly more featureful and stable at this point.  I do
mostly text with PAN, and would certainly have switched back as the new
PAN is simply missing a lot of features I regularly used, if I wasn't a
regular on the PAN lists (groups for me, thru gmane.org) and therefore
interested in following the latest developments.

I had been using klibido for binaries most of the time, tho I don't do
nearly as much binary stuff as I used to and don't have klibido installed
ATM.  It's KDE based, so should be good if you you use that (as I do) or
already have it installed at least.  If you are a mostly GNOME (or other
desktop) user and don't have at least kdelibs already installed, however,
klibido will have a significant number of dependencies you may not wish to
worry about.