pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Seeing message in original format

From: Lenny Nero
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Seeing message in original format
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:11:29 +0100

Duncan  said:

> Lenny Nero posted
> <address@hidden>,
> excerpted below,  on Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:32:24 +0100:
>
>> I have checked and I cant see anything on the 'raw'.msg (from my
>> pan.saved folder) file when put into an editor that I dont see when I
>> use the 'H'eaders key. I know that my version has had a lot of work
>> done on it, but nothing with the gspawn module.
>>
>> I understand that it would not show an encoded attachment, but what is
>> a 'sub' header ?
>> A header that is not normally seen on the standard view pane ? because
>> this is exactly what the 'h'eader key is for... show all headers in
>> body pane.
>>
>> Unless of course something non RFC is being used, or the OP wants to
>> send HTML.
>
> Sub-headers, in this context, would mean a message conforming to the
> MIME RFCs.  Depending on the message, often these have multiple parts,
> usually a plain text part, with either an HTML part or an attachment as
> well, sometimes both.
>
> The main headers of such a message will usually say multi-part/related
> (IIRC this is the MS style) or multi-part/mixed (IIRC this is the
> Mozilla style).  The RFCs specify that the main headers end with a blank
> line, so anything beyond that is "body" according to the original RFCs.
> However, the "body" will itself consist of multiple parts (thus the
> multi-part/* in the main headers), each with its own encoding
> (7-bit-text, base-64 or quoted-printable, or possibly with the
> unofficial yEnc extension implementation for news only, 8-bit-yenc).
> Additionally and most importantly, individual parts will often have a
> suggested file name and/or other interesting information in their
> part-headers.
>
> Unfortunately, PAN has no way to toggle display of the individual part
> headers, or the entire message in raw format, including encoded binary
> attachments.  Even where attachment info isn't needed, this sub-header
> information, if it's present, can at times be very useful for
> troubleshooting, or analyzing a post in ordered to potentially trace it
> or match it to a known poster.

I had been thinking about 'bin' post multi parts after I posted, because
this is something that I dont use Pan for so its not been a problem I have
come across in the past, so not what I checked for.

Being that Pan will get used by some as a 'bin downloader' I can see that
this might be considered useful but, TBH there are many things that could
do with getting fixed first but worth putting on the road map.

L.

--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com