pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: What does WATCH, reall?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: What does WATCH, reall?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:54:14 -0700

Brad Sims posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 23 May 2004 17:37:53 -0500:

> On Sunday 23 May 2004 1:07 pm, Duncan wrote:
>> Of course, ignore is the reverse of watch.  Thus, in addition to
>> setting negative and SUPER-negative scores to some nasty color, and not
>> displaying them by default, you can choose to actually delete the
>> overview for that post if desired, or mark it as read automatically
>> (thus preventing ignored posts from still showing up in the unread post
>> tally).
>
> Hrm, where is the mark -9999 as read automatically option in Pan
> 0.14.2.91? I looked in preferences and didn't see it.

As Jim H said (in his top post.. <grrr>), set a rule to delete (what I
use, or mark read, in your case), based on a filter "article score is one
of ignored". To get the latter, however, you have to set "article score is
at least..", add the filter line, and then invert it using the invert
button on the already added clause.

Back when I originally did it, however, scoring was fairly new, and there
was a bug in the way the filters dealt with negation.  It didn't work as
expected, so I had to set up the basic filter (with something other than
delete, for testing), then close PAN and edit the filter file by hand to
do the reversing of the clause.  However, I do believe that bug is long
since fixed, but I've never had to try it since then, so I don't know for
sure.  Anyway, once it was set up, it worked, and has continued to do so,
regardless of whether I had to edit it by hand to get it that way or not.

Benjamin Franklin