pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan has 8 Processes, using 1436MB! That's eatingmy RAM!

From: dfox
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan has 8 Processes, using 1436MB! That's eatingmy RAM!
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:20:09 -0700

Dr. Wrigley:

Hope you forgive the intrusion as I haven't yet joined the list,
otherwise I'd just continue on the thread.

It seems you're experiencing the same problem as I have over the last
few months -- namely, memory usage in pan. I've experienced this for
sometime, especially on importing lists of large numbers of posts in
any of a number of binaries newsgroups.

I've had (only) 256 megs of RAM in my box for quite sometime, until
recently. With so little RAM, pan can be almost useless in these
groups.

I recently upgraded my box, which runs Mandrake 10.0 Community, to a
whopping 768 megs. This alleviated the problem until yesterday, when
after slogging through alt.binaries.multimedia, pan grew until it
consumed 1.2 gigs of VM, which swamped my box, which has an
additional 800 megs available for swap.

At present, I'm skeptical on the memory leak issue, and am thinking
that it's simply the amount of headers  available that's causing pan
to go wild. I've seen the consumption decrease, if, for instance I
migrate from a very busy newsgroup to one with fewer posts. My box is
more or less directly connected to Supernews (through my ISP) so
there can be large amounts of headers to go through.

Still, it would be nice if there were ways to get around this issue.

address@hidden                            change magnetic patterns
address@hidden               on your hard disk.