pan-users

[Pan-users] Loading Newsgroup Headers

From: David Kelly
Subject: [Pan-users] Loading Newsgroup Headers
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:13:35 -0500

Using either 0.14.2 or 0.14.2.91 under FreeBSD 5.2.1 I got the great idea to disable "automatic load of new headers" when I started dealing with a 1.5M header newsgroup.

Launch pan, double-click on the newsgroup, and the bottom status line says its loading NNN of 1.5M something headers. This is never followed with "scoring...", "filtering...", or "updating display panels." Process size grows to something between 700M and 1000M. I have already dealt with 1G of RAM, 1.5G of swap, and kernel per-process data limit is set at 2G.

Once I have a bloated application and blank panels nothing I have found will cause the headers to be listed. Can toggle the "Read" flag under filters thinking I'd trigger a re-filter and re-list.

Tried visiting other newsgroups but didn't have any unread messages there so "A" was used to load new. Back to the big newsgroup and still nothing other than its name at the top of the panel. Finally use "A" to load new headers and all that is loaded is the new headers. Browsing under ~/.pan/data/news.myisp/ I find the previous 350 MB cached headers has become 5 MB of only the latest new headers.

Have re-enabled the automatic load of new headers on selection of a group. It works as expected now. Select the group and its cached headers are read from local disk, filtered, and displayed. Moments later the download of new headers begins.

Yes, pan does write error messages to stderr. But they are the same messages in either version, whether the group header load works or not.

Am I simply not holding my tongue right? Am I missing something in the operation of pan?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden