pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How to set a score based on a given header ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How to set a score based on a given header ?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 02:45:18 -0700

Nicolas Cavigneaux posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 05 May 2004 11:06:25 +0200:

> I'm new on this list and I use Gmane nntp server to read it. Gmane had
> a Xref header (gmane.spam.detected) to help users to detect spams.
>
> I want to configure Pan to score (-9999) posts that contains this header.
> I don't know how to do it. Can you help me to setup this ?

I /could/ be wrong on this, but AFAIK, there's no way to do that using the
current system.  PAN can only score on a limited number of headers right
now, basically those in the overview, but not even all of those.  Charles
has agreed that PAN needs more flexibile scoring in that regard, but when
I asked for it a year or so ago, I was told that while it did need to
happen, it wouldn't be a front-burner issue for some time.  I took that to
mean he'd like to see it before 1.0, but that remains some time in the
unscheduled future, AFAIK.  Realistically, therefore, the only way we are
going to see it any time soon is if the problem bugs someone with the
necessary coding skills and time available, to come up with and submit a
patch.

The xref header is the one that contains the post number for each group
the post is  carried on, on the local server.  The closest I've gotten to
scoring on the groups a post is x-posted to, is the "group" option.   (You
will likely notice I'm using gmane as well, thus, the interest.)
Unfortunately, the way PAN handles that is by matching it ONLY against the
group one is currently viewing posts in, not against the actual header, as
best I can tell.  Thus, unless you are actually viewing posts in the group
you want to filter, you can't score on it.

Again, a patch, provided it's done well and fits the coding style and etc
of the rest of PAN, is likely to be rather welcomed, if you are able to do
such things, or can talk someone else you know that can do so into doing
it, but otherwise..  well.. the rest of us sort of take what we get. =:^|

Benjamin Franklin