pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Downloading New Headers

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Downloading New Headers
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:29:06 -0700

Roger Penn posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:12:49 -0800:

> I just upgraded to version 0.14.2 from 0.11.something. Now Pan will no
> longer download new headers. The only way to get the latest posts is to
> download the entire newsgroup over again. I didn't have this problem
> using the old Pan on the same news server with the same configuration,
> nor do I have a problem using Free Agent (I don't, I just tried it for
> diagnostic purposes). Anyone know how I can make the new version
> download just the new headers?

I'm guessing the "viewed message" tracking database is borked.  The
message numbers on the server are out of sync with what PAN has in its
records, and it thinks it has seen everything on the server already, so
doesn't download it again unless you tell it to d/l everything.

To correct, try erasing the files PAN uses to track that, under
~/.pan/data.  Note that you can erase the entire dir if you don't mind
losing your settings and having to set up PAN again, or you can find and
erase the specific ones for the groups in question, and possibly the
server in question, sparing your other PAN settings.

Benjamin Franklin