pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How to stop downloading read articles overview on group

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How to stop downloading read articles overview on group open
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:04:02 -0700

DC posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Fri, 27
Feb 2004 10:45:02 -0500:

> I would like Pan to use a .newsrc (I've set one up, now) to keep track of
> read articles, but for it to NOT insist on downloading articles marked
> read in this .newsrc anyway.

It shouldn't re-d/l old headers unless you specifically tell it to get
ALL headers (overviews to be more accurate).  Normally, it only gets NEW
overviews.  If it is repeatedly d/ling old ones, perhaps either your
server is experiencing issues or pan's tracking is getting corrupted or
deleted between sessions.

> Header storage -- I would like to turn this off. Please point me to the
> option that continues to elude me.

I don't believe there's a way to turn off PAN's normal storage, but if
desired, you can simply delete all the listings in the overview/header
pane before closing PAN, as I normally do with my binary groups,  It
still tracks the server/group reference numbers however, so it doesn't
have to d/l all the old overviews again.  Note that unlike SOME readers,
it tracks them individually, not just the last number seen.  This takes
more space, but is far more dependable on servers where posts are created
out of numerical order.

> Scrolling in the header pane -- is there a way to make the mousewheel
> scroll line-by-line instead of jumping several lines at a time?  This
> could be an KDE setting, but I find that Pan leaps by a dozen lines or
> more at a time, instead of the 4 lines I've spec'd in KDE config.  Other
> apps behave normally.

PAN is a GTK app, not KDE, so it's not going to follow the KDE
preferences.  I'm not sure if there's a GTK/Gnome setting for that or if
it's gone missing, a victim of their "to many settings confuse the user"
policy that is the biggest reason I prefer KDE to Gnome.  However, I'd
suggest checking your Gnome settings, if you have it installed.

Benjamin Franklin