pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] When the NSP company tells us the headers will be re-num

From: SciFi
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] When the NSP company tells us the headers will be re-numbered, what should we make Pan do?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:21:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I found a file named 'newsrc-1',
probably because it's the 1st newsrc
in case of multiple servers.
(In this case it's the only one.)

I renamed it then started Pan
but then it showed no subscribed groups
even after I got a fresh grouplist.

I then quickly Shut Pan down.
Decided to edit that file
and rub-out all the numbers it'd been saving.

Then saved the file back to 'newsrc-1'
and started Pan again.

The subscribed grouplist came back.
And I think the GUI can now count/show the new msgs properly
and the hilighting for unread-vs-read is proper, too.
I think.  ;)

Here's how I edited those numbers to wipe 'em out:

I've been using TextWrangler editor for Macs
(freely available here,
 <http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/>).
It can do changes based on its interpretation of Grep,
so I came up with Find/Replace strings to clean-out
the newsrc numbering scheme:

    Find:  \:\ [0-9].*\n
 Replace:  \:\n

then change the beginning '\:' to '\!' on both
to clean-out the other lines with those numbers.

I bet this can be done easily with CLI cmds
but I like the way TextWrangler can back ya up
in case something gets really messy.  ;)

Now, I ask if we can get Mr H.M. to consider
a built-in feature to wipe these numbers off of
'newsrc' in these special cases?  I'll try
writing a "feature request" bugreport if ok.
Else, at least we-all have a documented method
to do this here.

Thank you for the help in any case.