pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] I need to check and/or request three features for Pan pl

From: Andreas Nastke
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] I need to check and/or request three features for Pan please, ASAP.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:25:14 +0200

whats wrong with putting something like the following in your score file?

[alt.binaries.multimedia]
Score:: =-9999
Subject: ^[a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9]

On 07/30/2014 10:32 PM, SciFi wrote:

Hi,

I am still stuck with OSX 10.6.8 — more on that below.

I do need to check-on and/or request three features be put into Pan, tho,
please.

… … …

Request #1. — Alter the logic for Score/Flag filter rules to ignore the "alphabet
soup".

We need to be able to specify a Regex type filter for the Subject line.  I know
there's an option on the main Pan panel for Articles → Add a Scoring Rule… →
Subject → matches regex → [fill it in here].  But does it work as the attached
post for Forte Agent works?

Here's why we need such a filter:

It seems the worldwide usenet binary posting groups are becoming nearly useless.

More&  more posters are using a type of scrambled filename in the Subject and in the
actual downloaded filename itself.  Many times it looks like a p2p key of some sort.  The
term "alphabet soup" is used to describe these posts.

Also many times these posts have nothing to do with with the group charter —
they have nothing to do with the group's topic, and even don't follow the types
of files allowed in the group, such as music in MP3 format rather than the
group being for a lossless format (e.g. FLAC).

But no one knows what is being posted, and we think it's an attempt to get
around the dee-emm-sea-aye spies.

However, rarely a fellow usenetter will try to fetch enough of the offending
posts in order to tell everyone what that is, so others can discerne whether to
ignore it.  Yes of course this defeats the purpose of scrambled posts in the
first place.

But the vast majority want to have their newsreader skip/bypass listing the
posts entirely.  Even the From field is randomized.  Hence use a subject filter
with regex matching along the lines explained in the attachment.

… … …

Request #2. — Put the server name(s) in the main Pan window title.

I usually have several Pan tasks running.  (Things are easier this way for me.)
 The main windows all say 'Pan' exactly those 3 letters, so I don't know which
window will handle which server.  It'd be much more easy if the main window
would show the server(s) it is for.  (I don't think the configure-time 'dbus'
option/code will do this, either.)

… … …

Request #3. — Please finish the PGP/GPG 'Signing' feature.

Right now Pan only shows the 'Signing' status if originally done with PGP/MIME
method.

We're still needing support for the 'inline' method, just like I must use here
(with BEGIN and END lines).

… … …

About the bug I'm still having with the headers word-wrapping right after the
':' mark, which many news-servers still view as syntax errors:

The gmime author has stopped supporting the older GNome version libraries.  I
cannot properly build his newer supposedly 'fixed' code here.  I don't think I
can singly convince him to #ifdef his code as Mr Müller has done with Pan here.
 And I can't rightly waste time/CPU rebuilding/updating the GNome
infrastructure here, my iMac can't stand the extra load with the tasks it's
told to do 24/7/365.  ;(

What else can I do?  (other than the obvious)  I could try finding the patch(es) that
fix this, then insert them into his older source tree locally here.  Else I must live
with the bug 'Headerline:<wordwrap>rest of line'.

… … …

About my Fruity predicament.

I'm still using the same hardware&  software.  Apple has actually abandoned OSX
10.6 for real now, not even keeping the security up on it (e.g. OpenSSL).

OTOH many 3rd-party apps still support 10.6, apparently there's not that much
difference in the SDKs of these versions of OSX.

Supposedly I can run with 10.7 aka Lion and continue to be supported by Apple,
but it has no support for Rosetta (which emulates PowerPC very well), nor
32-bit (fortunately I do have a 64-bit CPU), and will need to adopt some Dumber
stuff on 10.7.  But 10.7 is absolutely the official end for this iMac model,
because it has 32-bit EFI/BIOS and won't be supported on later versions of OSX.

Apple won't update the BIOS here either, so it is effectively EOL'd.  But I do
know about a project that might have a way to provide a front-end-fakery to at
least make it SEEM it has the 64-bit BIOS/EFI kernel calls, it's only for OSX
tho, I still can't run e.g. Tails on it AFAICT.

I _am_ running self-compiled open-source code, such as the GNome infrastructure
and Pan and other goodies.  As long as I linked with my own builds of OpenSSL,
GNU, et al., I shan't need to worry about what Apple won't do for us.  ;)

As for a new computer: —

I am treating this iMac as if it is a Server.  I know I really _do_ need a
tower that can act as a Real Server.

WalMart has nothing worthwhile.  In fact a Youtube member has looked-over the
models available there — made by HP in fact — and he has rejected them as well.

See, if they did have a suitable model, I could walk over to a neighborhood
WalMart SuperCenter where I live, buy it, then wheel it home.  (Long story — I
don't have a car, got placed at a retirement village on account of my
disability, etc.).

Plans are to continue studying the market.  Whenever I make a choice, I would
need to finance it thru my c.u. if even possible.

Right now I do have a Dremel tool and fans to keep this iMac cooled-down.
(Heat is a Common problem even with today's models from Apple.  Also I'm paying
thru the nose on the electric bill due to bad a/c situations.)

If needed, use the GMane email on this post to reach me privately, it should
work.

Thanks for reading.

- -*- attachment follows, describing the "alphabet soup" problem -*-