pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Reporting a crash-trigger post

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Reporting a crash-trigger post
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:08:19 +0000 (UTC)

On gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs (public server, news.gmane.org) there's a
post that crashes pan when I try to read it, tho it downloads to cache
just fine.  Based on testing, the problem is the content-type header, as
editing the cached file to remove that (folded) header allows me to load
the post just fine.

Based on the subject, I'm guessing the post originally contained malware.
The kernel listserv apparently stripped that, but the result is a post
with a content-type multipart/mixed; boundary=<boundary> header, but no
actual multiple parts, presumably because the parts were malware and thus
stripped.

That -- a content-type multipart header, without parts -- apparently
crashes pan.  Either that, or something else about that header crashes
pan, but it seems to be the multipart bit, without actual parts.

With the binary parts stripped, all that's left of the post besides the
headers is the standard btrfs-list footer -- no body at all besides the
standard footer.

OK, here's the post info (choice headers) so you can find it for testing.
The subject decodes to and pan displays "open the attachment enclose",
without the quotes, and I'm adding spaces to the from and message-ID @
patterns to avoid gmane's email address obfuscation.