pan-devel

[Pan-devel] article rescoring during download

From: eto
Subject: [Pan-devel] article rescoring during download
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 21:54:03 -0800

Hi all,

I was curious what the latest pan looked like so I pulled down debian
unstable (0.139-1).  There was a remarkable slowdown and much higher CPU
usage when pulling binaries from large groups as compared to 0.133.

I grabbed the latest git code and did a little profiling.  Eventually I
found a curious call being made in pan/gui/header-pane.cc, line 2527:

void
HeaderPane :: on_cache_added (const Quark& message_id)
{
  quarks_t q;
  q.insert(message_id);
  _data.rescore_articles ( _group, q );    // here is slow
  rebuild_article_action (message_id);
}

That rescore_articles call eventually gets down to a std::set_intersection
over what I believe to be the entire list of articles in the group of
interest.

This on_cache_added call is made fairly often, possibly each time an
article's contents are retrieved.

I couldn't see anything terribly valuable in this call since I don't use
scoring other than to plonk authors so I commented out the three related
lines and saw my bandwidth get fully utilized again.

As for treating this, the code is doing an intersection with a single
element set (the one quark), which is effectively a find.  There might be a
faster find if these articles are already hashed.  I don't know enough
about the system to suggest a complete new codepath.  There might be a
"user doesn't use scoring" flag that flat avoids this call.

                                  Eric Ortega