pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] gnome-doc-utils redux

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] gnome-doc-utils redux
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 04:31:36 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:17:06 +0000 as excerpted:

> Also, simply touching the gnome-doc-utils.make file in question,
> presumably only if help is disabled, so the file exists but is empty,
> works.  But of course I don't know how to do that before that include...

FWIW, that's what I decided to do now, add a quick...

touch <path>/gnome-doc-utils.make

... to my custom gentoo ebuild script that fetches, autoreconfigures,
configures, builds and installs live-git pan for me.  While that's a
workaround for an irritating bug, not a fix, it does lower the priority
of actually finding a fix, allowing me to get back to the routine of
pulling updates and rebuilding pan every few days, to see what's new. =:^)

It's also worth noting that said bug should only affect the live-git
version, since there's normally no need to run autoreconfigure for a
versioned tarball, only configure (possibly with options), make, make
install.  And since it presumably only triggers for folks trying to build
live-git pan with the help system disabled, even if the bug is
irritating, it's unlikely to affect many users, since few build pan from
live git sources, and only a few of those will be trying to build it
without the help system.  That's presumably why I seem to be the only one
to hit the issue so far, since I'd guess most have more gnome installed
and leave the help-built-by-default option as it is.