pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] My list of present problems with Pan.

From: SciFi
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] My list of present problems with Pan.
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:29:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:11:24 +0000, Bruce Bowler wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:13:48 +0000, SciFi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I should probably post the concerns I'm still having with Pan.
>
> {major snippage}
>
> Let me add 2...
>
> - User configurable quote characters.  I know that most people use the >
> to indicate the quoted portion of an article, but not everyone does.  One
> group I frequent has a post who uses the = instead.  It messes up how pan
> deals with quoted portions of an article.

Yep.  :)
This quoting occurs in almost any text messaging, including email.
I've seen almost any kind of "bracket" used to signal a quote:

=
:
]
etc.

Myself, I sometimes use the AOL style:

blah blah blah
<<<<
such as quoting a publication with many paragraphs etc.
(I /presume/ this style was originally AOL, anyway…)
(btw look at the purrtyy colors on that first quote line :D )

Most people would probably want us "stalwarts" to start using HTML in our
messages.  This could alleviate such gimmickry as they see it.  ;)

> - (this one's easy to explain, but I haven't figured out the "trigger")
> Frequently, when I finish reading one group, and move to the next, the
> first unread article is opened but, in the header pane, the appropriate
> header isn't highlighted (well maybe it is) because it's off screen.  ISTM
> that the appropriate header for the article that's open should *always* be
> in the header pane (and highlighted) unless I've mucked with the header
> pane after it's been displayed.

I've seen the "hidden" articles
when I have my main Preferences->Behavior->Groups set:
"Get new headers when entering group"
or similar settings there.
When entering a group, no matter from-where-else,
the new headers come down,
and will be hidden up-above the currently-first line already in the cache
(whether read or not).
This currently-first line has a dashed-box all the way around it,
presumably for reference,
then I need to move the header panel 'up' to see the just-fetched lines
which I sometimes forget to do (more often than not).
Does that sound about right?

> My $0.02
> bRUCE

:)