pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] New icon for Pan?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] New icon for Pan?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:16:16 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Mueller posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:18:45 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi guys.
> What do you think about that icon for Pan?
> http://image.shutterstock.com/
display_pic_with_logo/224071/224071,1220413955,14/stock-vector-vector-
illustration-of-a-pan-flute-16887664.jpg

> I think it looks really nice, but it costs a few bucks. Is there a fund
> for such things?

At the resolution of the image at the URL, it's fine, but it doesn't
downscale to 32x32 let alone 16x16 icon size very well as it ends up
looking like a throw-rug.  The association with pan would thus be unclear
and confusing.

Not that the current icon is particularly clear at that scale either.  I
just don't find your proposal much better, certainly not /enough/ better
to be worth both the payment and the cost associated with changing the
already familiar.

But that's just my opinion...

Now what /might/ be interesting, at least to me, would be a community
contest, for a new icon, perhaps in connection with a planned pan 1.0.
It could generate some publicity about pan in an otherwise obscure-and-
getting-more-so application genre...

To directly answer your question, tho, no, I've never heard of anything
like a fund for such things.

Charles used to have a tip jar.  IIRC he remarked at one point that he'd
gotten something like $32 from it over the years.  (I mentioned it a few
times on the user list and believe he got a bit more, possibly a bit
above $50 total, so say $64, over the years, but...)  But that's about as
close as it'd come and I imagine Charles used that either to pay misc
site expenses (tho the site itself was and is hosted by someone more or
less donating it, in return for the right to serve ads, anyway, I
believe) or as "beer money".  That's as close as I know of tho, but even
then, not close at all except in that it was related to pan and related
to money.

OTOH, if someone were to buy the image and donate it, with or without a
community fundraising drive to help cover the cost, it might be worth
it.  Even if I don't really care for the icon, I'm neutral to it, and the
PR associated with such a drive, as I've indicated above, could IMO be
good for pan.

But that's getting the cart a bit before the horse.  PKovar is the keeper
of the official repo, and aside from his own personal opinion, I suppose
he'd be most interested in two things, what KHaley thinks, and how it
might fit within the Gnome guidelines.  About the latter I've not the
foggiest, tho PKovar may well have some clue.