pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Feature: Email articles as well as save?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Feature: Email articles as well as save?
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:28:45 +0000 (UTC)

Bob Eager posted on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:23:42 +0000 as excerpted:

> I've recently started using pan, having been bitten by another U**x
> newsreader that did silly things with followup fields :-(
>
> I like it...but miss one or two items of functionality that I had on a
> very nice newsreader on my previous platform.
>
> The last release seems a while ago...but I hope that development
> continues.
>
> One feature I want is the ability to email an article, as an alternative
> to saving it to disk. I would be happy to contribute code for this, so
> if there is a developer out there, please do contact me if you're
> interested (and it isn't already planned).

The following applies to pan-0.1xx, including 0.133.  The old 0.14.x
series is no longer under development.

There's the ability, but it quotes it...  and pan actually uses the
mailto: handler configured for your desktop environment.

To get the headers, you'd hit the view-header toggle and select them, as
pan follows the usual convention of quoting the selection only, if
anything's selected.

To set pan up for mail, use the configuration dialog, apps tab.  Then use
the mailto: header instead of or in addition to the newsgroups: header,
and pan will forward it to your mail client as configured to do so.  Do
note that if both pan and your mail client are configured to add a sig,
you'll get both of them unless you delete one.