pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Unable to install pan-0.133 by "missing gmime-2.0"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Unable to install pan-0.133 by "missing gmime-2.0"
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:00:24 +0000 (UTC)

Julien Michielsen
<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 09 Oct 2008
12:21:54 +0200:

> Trying to install pan-0.133 I was not able to pass the configure-script.
> It ended with the error message
> checking for GMIME... configure:
> error: Package requirements (gmime-2.0    >= 2.1.9) were not met:
>
> No package 'gmime-2.0' found
>
> However, I do have gmime installed:
> rpm -q gmime
> gmime-2.2.18-28.1
> and in addition libgmime-2_0-3 is installed. I noticed the gmime-package
> has few interesting files (gmime-uudecode and gmime-uuencode), but still
> it is the package it asked for. What else does it ask for?

>From a different thread, answered on pan-user, it appears you run SuSE,
correct?

I don't (FWIW I run Gentoo) so I can't say for sure this is the case, but
many distributions, particularly binary distributions (as SuSE is), split
packages such as libraries into two parts, the normal part needed for
support of binary packages, and a libwhatever-dev package, needed only if
you are going to be compiling stuff against that library.

So I'd suggest you see if there's a gmime-dev (and possibly a libgmime-
dev as well) package, and install it if so.  That should provide the rest
of the "gmime" package, the part actually detected and used in build
scripts.

Note that as you're compiling from source on a normally binary
distribution, it's reasonably likely that as soon as you fix that
dependency, you'll be hit with an error for another one, requiring some
other package where the binary half is installed but the -dev half
isn't.  Unfortunately it's not unusual for these requirements to be 3-5
layers deep, and some may be more.  However, the alternative would be not
splitting the packages, therefore requiring more space for a distribution
where many users never compile a single thing from source, and thus don't
need all that extra stuff that's therefore just wasting space, for them.

FWIW, distributions like Gentoo, that are designed to compile from source
at the user end, often won't split the packages.  If it's installed, it's
installed, meaning less hassle tracking down packages just to compile
something.  However, the tradeoff is that you generally compile
/everything/ from source.  It's not bad on a powerful machine and there
are definite additional advantages, but there's certainly users that
don't want to ever touch a compiler and a place for distributions that
make that possible and easy, just as there is for users that like the
extra control compiling it one's self gives, and for distributions that
make /that/ possible and easy. =:^)