pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Feature Request: More connections per server

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Feature Request: More connections per server
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 03:25:01 +0000 (UTC)

Greg Lee <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:32:39
+0000:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:03:29 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> ... if you edit the (text based) config files directly, in this case
>> servers.xml, you can set parameters outside those available in the GUI,
>> and pan obeys them.  With pan closed, edit that file to set your
>> desired number of connections for each configured server, open pan, and
>> there you are. =8^)
>
> I tried that.  Didn't work.  When Pan started up, it changed the "8" I'd
> put in servers.xml to "4".

Hmm...  Seems to work for me, or at least it did last time I tried it
(with a pay server I don't have ATM).

You didn't try to edit the file with a pan instance running, did you?
Because pan does save some stuff when it exits, and would have likely
overwritten your change with what it was set with when it started.  If
you are going to directly edit the config, you must do it with pan shut
down.

Also, I'm not sure if new-pan works this way, but (with a different
setting, cache size) old-pan would reset it if you hit save from the
settings dialog with that setting in it.  Since the connection setting is
per server, that means once you set it above the GUI max setting, if you
change anything in the GUI server settings dialog for that server, you'll
probably have to close pan and reset the connections in the file once
again.

Other than that, it was working for me (on Linux, Gentoo/~amd64 FWIW) and
for others as well.  If it's not working for you, I'd call that a bug,
and file it as such.

I'm x-posting this to the user list (with followup set, assuming the
listserv doesn't rewrite it, so check there for further replies, FWIW I
participate in the lists as newsgroups, using pan, thru gmane.org), which
is more appropriate than devel in this case.  With luck we'll get
confirmation from others there currently using the feature as to whether
it continues to work for them or not.  (Not so many subscribe to devel.)

What version /are/ you running, BTW?  I'm not sure whether the feature
was there yet in 0.90 or if it was added sometime later, but from say
0.112 or so it should definitely be there, but if it broke somewhere
along the way...