pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: potential memory improvement

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: potential memory improvement
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:43:54 +0000 (UTC)

Ken Geis <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 09 May 2007
14:51:52 -0700:

> I've been loading a BIG group off newsfeeds.com and my ISP, and Pan
> (0.126) often gets up to 2G of memory usage when I visit this group. I'm
> starting to look into the usage of STL within the Quark class.
>
> I'm probably not going to find big areas for improvement on memory
> usage, but I'm going to try.
>
> I think that __gnu_cxx::hashtable can be used instead of
> __gnu_cxx::hash_map for Quark._lookup.  That could save the size of a
> StringView for each entry in the hashtable.  hash_map is redundant
> because in each node, it stores a key-value pair; the value that Quark
> is storing (Impl) already contains the key.  I'm looking in to this.  If
> anyone else wants to look into it, it'd be nice.  I haven't touched C++
> in several years.

Charles will no doubt be grateful for this and any other suggestions you
have in this area (particularly if they come with patches =8^), as he has
been working on memory optimization for some time and pan 0.1xx is
already orders of magnitude better than old-pan (0.14.x) was.  Several
folks have pitched in with suggestions/patches/tests in this area.

However, I don't see mention that you've filed this suggestion on
bugzilla yet.  Please do so as it makes tracking them easier, and it's
harder for them to simply fall thru the cracks.  If you've already filed
it there, by all means, posting here is good, as it might get others
looking at it too.  If/when you have bugged it, please post the bug
number and/or URL, so people can CC and follow it.

You can add a link in the bug to this thread as well.  Gmane archives
this list both to the web and to a newsgroup, and where there's both a
list thread and a bug, it's nice to have each linking the other.  The
gmane web link to your original post is

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.devel/1032

(FWIW, I'm not personally a dev, tho I dabble around enough to sort of
speak the language and know a bit about the ideas involved.  I do try to
help out in the pan groups (well, lists, but they are groups when you
read them as such on gmane.org), however, and like to think that my doing
so leaves Charles and the other devs more time to do actual development,
as they don't have to reply to so many user questions.  That's why I'm
not saying anything about the specifics of your suggestion, tho I'll
certainly be following developments if there is further discussion and on
the bug if you post the number, and will comment if I've anything further
to say.)