pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Pan2 Very Slow

From: John W. M. Stevens
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Pan2 Very Slow
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:03:54 -0600

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 12:37:59PM -0600, John W. M. Stevens wrote:

> After a recent upgrade to Debian 4.0 (Etch), I decided to try to
> upgrade from pan 0.14.2.91 to pan 0.127.  To my surprise, downloading
> new headers from news groups has slowed down by almost a factor of
> fifty.

At a guess, this is a difference in what is being reported, right?

I'm guessing that pan is now reporting number of "parts", not
number of article headers downloaded.  Good guess, or bad?

> The GUI is a lot less responsive than 0.14, and it regularly hangs for
> long periods of time (20 to thirty seconds).  On doing some reading,
> I've found some emails that suggest that the new version is not
> multi-threaded.  I would suggest a minimum of three threads: One for
> the GUI, one for the encoder/decoder task, and one for data up/down load.
> Experiments with the news readers I've written show this as a nice
> balance between responsivness and network bandwidth usage.

This is still true, and pan-0.127 crashed five times in my attempts to
work my way through the process of figuring out where it's fragile.

Do not, under any circumstances, try to delete the contents of a group
while the header download is in progress.  Badness ensues.

Thanks,
John S.