pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Generating NZB files

From: Darren Albers
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Generating NZB files
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:42:42 -0500

Charles Kerr wrote:

Duncan, you've got it just right. :)  That's how I'd go about it.

Generating nzb files for other programs raises a bigger question
for me though.  If another program is more useful at handling nzb,
then Pan generating nzb only treats a symptom, not the problem.
The real solution is to make Pan handle nzb better than anyone else.

Konrad, what does nzbperl.pl do better than Pan?
Duncan, what did you have in mind?

cheers,
Charles
Duncan/Darren, close enough  ;-)

If I was to guess what nzbperl has that Pan does not it is a smaller footprint and the ability to limit download speeds. Fixing 360809 and 102403 resolve both of these issues but neither seem easy. I took a look at 102403 and the concept that most other apps seem to use for this is to monitor the speed and if it gets above the limit use sleep or io wait to slow it down. This seemed simple in theory but implementing it was outside my abilities ;-)

On a side note I have been working on a patch for bug 361388 and I think there are two options for handling this that I would like your feedback on:

1) Save the attached nzb to temp and feed it back into pan. This has the benefit of creating a new function that saves attachments to tmp for use by external applications.

2) Decode the attachment inside pan and feed it into the task manager directly.

I am leaning towards #1 since it would possibly create the infrastructure to close 133085 but I wanted to get your feedback on that in case you felt that it wasn't appropriate to handle it this way.

I also have some questions on Pan's attachment handling and UUdecode but I will make sure I understand it enough to ask a clear question first.

Thanks,
Darren