pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: SSL support

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: SSL support
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:36:33 +0000 (UTC)

Lynda Metref <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:40:40
+0200:

> Thank you for your answer!
>
> Will this enhancement be added to 1.0?

1.0 is pretty much feature-locked at this point, bugfixes only, with
release anticipated late this month or early next, depending on how the
bugs work out, so it's extremely unlikely.

It's /possible/ such a feature might make it into 1.1, but IMO that's not
very likely either, as direct SSL support simply isn't that in demand
because pan thru STunnel works, and implementing it would be rather
costly in terms of time and code.  That said, Charles has always been
quite open to patches.  If you are a coder or are sufficiently interested
in the feature to sponsor someone that /can/ code it, if he had the patch
to apply, I have little doubt that the feature would be in 1.1, because at
that point the benefit is far higher than the cost of including the
now available patch.

If nobody supplies a patch... it's likely to be eventually added, but I'd
guess the timeframe at beyond a year and the target version at 2.0 or
beyond, "bluesky", as they say.  There are simply too many other things
likely to be implemented first, as more useful to more people and/or
easier.

Of course, I'm not Charles.  If he takes a fancy to it, it could well be
in 1.1 (still not likely for 1.0), and available at least in beta before
the end of the year.