pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Feature Request

From: Darren Albers
Subject: [Pan-devel] Feature Request
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:22:33 -0400

So now that Charles just said:
"If you've been holding off on the Pan rewrite, this might be a good time
to give it a try.  The bug reports have been shrinking over the last few
weeks, so either it's getting less buggy, or we need more testers, or
both."
I figured now was a good time to ask about a feature that might cause
some breakage  ;)

Back in an older version of PAN (I think version 0.11?) since Pan did
not do inline image rendering there was an option to open an attachment
directly.  I was wondering if it is possible to get this feature into
Pan 0.97?

My use case is this, I read a lot of mailing lists through GMANE and
often during a support request users will send a screenshot through at
some insane resolution like 1600x1200 to show their issue so I have to
either scroll in the PAN window or save and open the attachment.  It
would be a lot simpler to just click open attachment, this is the one
thing that keeps me from switching to using PAN for this 100% and stick
with just using thunderbird for the mailing lists I actively participate
in.  I have no need to save these attachments so to me these can be lost
immediately after I close the image viewer.

It might be possible to just do this for a few mimetypes, say images and
nzb's?  In the preferences dialog there can be a section to enter the
path to your image viewer and by default nzb's can be opened by Pan's
task manager.

Thanks!