pan-devel

[Pan-devel] General 0.92 Issues

From: George Czerw
Subject: [Pan-devel] General 0.92 Issues
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:48:37 -0400

1.  When Pan 0.92 downloads new headers (0.91 was flaky in this
department as well), it changes the Group name to a bold font and
displays the number of new headers in parentheses, however it doesn't
consistently display the new headers in a bold font.  This is quite
maddening, since you can't tell which headers are new.  I much
preferred the behavior of 0.14.2.91 in which you could at least display
new & unread messages in a one color (e.g. red bold/red), and where
read messages could be displayed in another color (e.g. blue).

2.  It would be helpful if 0.92 displayed the same information in the
status bar that it did in 0.14.2.91, e.g., loading, sorting, filtering
articles & displaying the number of new articles downloaded.  It's most
difficult to tell what the new version is doing when the display panes
appear to hanging.  For example, when I load the group
alt.os.linux.mandrake (which contains in the neighborhood of 170,000
headers), the display froze and nothing displayed in the headers pane
for well over a minute. However, once the display updated, the log file
indicates that it only took 4.3 seconds to load the group, so I don't
know what's going on there.

3.  When you expand the "unsubscribed groups", the list does not appear
to be completely loaded into the display, and you cannot use the
scrollbar to navigate.  You must select "refresh groups list" before
the display will behave properly.

George