pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Missing Feature Request

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Missing Feature Request
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 03:37:23 -0700

DPA posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:32:25 -0400:

> Here is a feature that is missing that I used (Though I understand if I
> am the only one who used it...  lol).  In Pan .14.x I always changed my
> layout so that the header list is on the left where the group list is
> now and then hid the group list.
>
> I would do this when reading a large text group (usually a mailing list
> via gmane) that had large bodies in them so I could read the full post
> without a lot of scrolling.  I then just arrow down through the articles
> and hit enter to read.  This was the only easy way that I can read some
> of the larger mailing lists.
>
> Is it possible to bring that back or would that require a large amount
> of changes?

Charles took out the options dialog temporarily, to see what parts of it
folks actually use.  It'll be coming back, minus the parts not enough
folks complained about missing.

So... yours is one vote to bring back the layout option.

Here's mine, a second vote for it, as I have quite the customized layout.
Now that I'm only using PAN for text (I'm using klibido for binaries, but
that may change with PAN handling multiple servers automatically, now, the
reason I switched to klibido for binaries), I have it layed out like this
(view with constant width font).

|        full 1600 px wide screen width overview/header pane           |
|             ~ 1/2 1200 height, incl. menu and toolbar                |
|                                            |                         |
|            2/3 width body pane             |       1/3 width         |
|         1/2 height incl. status            |      group pane         |
|                                            |                         |

I run stacked dual 400x300mm display (21") monitors in 1600x1200, with
PAN maximized in the bottom (working) one, taking the full 400x300mm,
1600x1200 px display.  The top one has all my system
status displays and stuff I want to keep always visible, with additional
panels that hide until I need them, with the KMenu and various other
functions, on the bottom. There's pictures, not including PAN but of
my general desktop (then KDE 3.5.1, X composite enabled, now KDE 3.5.2,
then a gig of memory, recently upgraded to 8 gig), with a description, at:

http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n

Back when I used PAN for binaries, which means I'll want a similar layout
if I start using it for binaries again, I'd run PAN super-maximized over
both monitors (not covering the top area panels, however, so more like
monitor and a half tall).  The bottom monitor would be all body pane,
full 1600x1200 (only then I was running 2048x1536 resolution on both, so
it was actually full 2048x1536 resolution, big enough so I could view a full
1600x1200 px image or 1024x1280 portrait mode without scrolling), the
shorter top would be header/overview pane -- I'd keep the group pane
hidden most of the time, but it would take up a third of the overview pane
area when it wasn't.

So...  I definitely need a flexible layout, as  I wouldn't expect either
of those layouts to be suitable for most folks, but it's what I prefer,
so it better be customizable!  =8^)